Annons:
Tagsart-for-beginnerstutorialsartarticles
Read 158 times
Tismon
2021-11-20 23:15

Beginners guide: Drawing

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Pick up the pencil and start sketching!

Perhaps you have always wanted to learn how to draw. But where do you begin and how? There actually isn't any right or wrongs but there are basics that can Help you improve and will make everything a lot easier for you when you pick up your pencil for the first time. In this article we'll go through some basics and show you how to start drawing!

shapes_smoll.gif

Basic shapes

Circles, cubes, triangles… These shapes are often where you begin your art journey. There is a reason why they are used in art classes for beginners as well. Basically everyone can draw them! You will get a lot of use out of them as an early artist as well as a more experienced artist.

Maybe you haven't noticed it but the world is full of different shapes.

former-överallt.gif

If you look carefully, you can find shapes everywhere, in everything

bridge.gif

As mentioned earlier, there is a reason why it's so common to begin with just basic shapes. You can find them everywhere. To begin drawing can be hard at times but the shapes will Help us to structure our ideas and get them on a paper.

beginner_smoll.png

No one is expected to be a Michelangelo from the beginning. No one makes masterpieces out of thinn air. Begin simple - stop caring about it having to look a certain way and just have fun with it!

When you're drawing, take a look at the world and think: what shape would that object translate to? Can you picture it in your mind or do you have to look at a photo? Drawing from your head and drawing from a photo can both be good ways to improve your art.

hedgehog.gif

How does a hedgehodge look like, really? Their snout could be made a triangle and their body could be a circle.

Some ideas on how to start drawing with basic shapes:

pinetree-GIF_smoll.gif
sheep_smoll.gif
gris-GIF_smoll.gif

Even with more advanced drawings, basic shapes still provides help
rabbit_smoll.gif

Drawing using references

If you've been drawing a lot from your mind, perhaps it's a good idea to try using references every once in a while. You learn a great deal from drawing on your own, that much is true. But many people forget the importance of using references. To achieve the best results in improving your skill it is recommended to both draw on your own as well as using references. It is deeply underrated to use references for some reason. Some people have this wild idea of it being cheating somehow. It is not cheating no matter who says it. The most famous artists in the world have all been using references in their work at some point. The authour of this article - Tismon - uses references more than she would like to admit. It is also pretty unrealistic, considering everything you have ever seen is based on a Reference, all your imaginary pictures in your head are based on a Reference. It doesn't make any sence that drawing with references is cheating, because if that was the case, everything would be considered cheating.

gerbil_smoll.gif

It's not really that hard, keep trying, you're doing good

When you're drawing with references you have the Reference right infront of you - whether it be a photo or an actual object. Try using shapes as we previously discussed - structure the picture using circles, cubes and triangles.

girl-sunshine-gif_smoll.gif
sitting-man_smoll.gif

Sometimes it is a good idea to take a moment and think about how the object would look in 3D. How does it bend beyond the flat image? How does it look behind other objects? By thinking about these thing you can improve drastically when drawing on your own since you are starting to understand how everything is pieced together.

soffa_smoll.gif

Oh! That's how the cushion looks like behind the table!

"Alright", you think "I now have a lot of different shapes on my paper. But what do I do now?! I want it to look like things, not just circles and cubes!"

"No worries I got you fam! Here are some ideas on how to use those circles and cubes with smaller details! And how you then draw the real deal using those shapes!"

face1_smoll.gif

It's always a good idea to draw the basic first, make the face before adding hair

tyson-gif.gif

When everything is correct you can improve your line art and colour it if you want

kladdaaa.gif

Don't forget to have fun!

KLADDA! (=Swedish for doodleing)

It's easy to forget but art should be fun! Everything doesn't have to look good or even decent. Everything doesn't have to have an idea behind it or a final destination. Sometimes it's just fun to sketch lines and see what happens! Sometimes lines doesn't become more than an abstract piece of work. Perhaps you misstakenly draw the dust bunny you have underneath the old cabinet - and that's fine! The dust rabbit is most likely flattered by your art and you got to have fun. The most important part is that you're having fun!

crazy-chicken.gif

This picture was not even planned. It turned out fun and crazy

en massa olika kladd_smoll.png

Nobody knows what these doodles are all about

I hope you had any use of this article of mine! If you need more Help there are more resources out there, videos and tutorials online, you can also take classes. You can also ask me if you need any Help. If something is unclear, just leave a comment and we'll try to straightened things out. If I forgot to add something, tell me and I'll add it! If there's anything you'd like to learn just request it, all ideas are welcome!

Correlation does not equal causation.

Host of Dogs and Art Savvity

• Edited by Tismon 2021-11-25 05:05
Annons:
Tom
2022-01-28 09:14

This is a very good illustration of how to see the world in shapes, thank you for this informative article!

Tismon
2022-01-28 16:52

#1: I am happy you found it helpful :)

Niklas
2022-02-04 18:50

I agree! You make it look so easy.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tismon
2022-02-06 02:41

#3: Thanks! I think you can do just as well if you try it 😊

Niklas
2022-02-28 13:07

Do you have any advice on when to use a single shape and when to split it into two or three? Should you use two or more shapes when none of the basic shapes (triangles, circles and squares) are enough?

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tismon
2022-02-28 16:06

#5: A very good question!

There really aren't any rules but imagine the shapes as guide-lines there to Help you. Normally you'd block things up depending on how solid an object is. You choose to block up things also depending on how much Help you need and how much details you're including. An example:

hand.png

This is my hand

hand1.png
On a rough sketch you might choose to block the hand up like this. If the hand isn't the main focus, it might just be a part of a bigger picture this could suffice. Or if it's just a sketch and the purpose isn't to create a detailed pretty image.

hand2.png
Here you've detailed the fingers and it makes it appearent what it is suppose to be

hand3.png
In this picture you've blocked up all the soild parts and made a distinguishment of all the joints. It is helpful if you're making hands in different angles since fingers can bend in so many ways

What's important to remember is that the shapes are guidelines for you and they are there to make things easier when you draw. So you can chose to use as many shapes as you want, as long as it is helpful to you!

• Edited by Tismon 2022-03-01 00:16
Annons:
Tismon
2022-02-28 16:21

image.png

image.png

image.png

An example of how you can use different shapes to Help you

Niklas
2022-02-28 16:30

Thanks! That is very helpful. 😃

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Tismon
2022-02-28 16:37

You're welcome! If there's anything else you find difficult I'm more than happy to Help!

J
2023-10-16 11:22

Thank you for sharing this insightful and encouraging guide on drawing. Your emphasis on the importance of starting with basic shapes and using references, such as custom paint by number, is indeed a great way to begin the artistic journey. Your reminder that even the most renowned artists have relied on references at some point is particularly comforting and motivating for beginners.

I found your inclusion of the hedgehog, pine tree, sheep, and rabbit illustrations especially delightful. They exemplify how basic shapes can be utilized to create more complex drawings. Additionally, your emphasis on having fun and not worrying about perfection is a refreshing perspective. The "kladdaaa" and "crazy-chicken" images perfectly convey the joy of free-spirited doodling.

Overall, your blog is informative, engaging, and filled with encouragement for aspiring artists. It's a wonderful reminder that art is not just about creating masterpieces but also about the joy and creativity that come from the process itself.

Looking forward to more insightful posts from you in the future!

Create a masterpiece with our custom paint by numbers kit! With a personalized painting kit, you’ll be able to create a unique and beautiful painting that you can cherish forever.
Tismon
2024-03-14 03:00

#10: A very late reply since I haven't been on Savvity for ages, but your comment made me very happy 😀

Yes, my own biggest emphasis is on art being fun, not only is it easier to improve while doing things you enjoy but you also get to have a good time! Very good tips, I had not considered paint by number books but they're plenty of fun and you get to practice pencil/ink/etc coloring! Unfortunately I cannot access your link.

Bless! And have a wonderful day ☺️

Scroll to top
Annons: